Thursday 13 October 2011

Angela Anaconda/Blue's Clues

I was never really a fan of Angela Anaconda as a kid. It's a bit like something out of a bad dream and always made me feel a bit ill, but it uses a really interesting style of cutout animation and is really quite cleverly done. I thought that there might be something I can draw from this regarding character design.


The clothes and most set pieces are really simple cutout objects. The faces and limbs are simply greyscale photographs, with only distinguishing features (freckles, hair) in colour. It's a really interesting contrast and is actually quite attractive in a baroque way.

I may be able to produce something similar — if I were to make a simple body for a puppet in Photoshop with each limb on a separate layer I would be able to pin them all together digitally and superimpose a photograph to use as a head or hands, etc.

Blue's Clues is another great example:



It was a pretty ridiculous programme but very effective visually. It's a fantastic demonstration of live action and cutouts working together pretty seamlessly and creating this entire other world that was, for the most part, quite convincing (assuming you're aged 8 and under)

No comments:

Post a Comment