Thursday 3 November 2011

Finalised character design


Working on my final puppets for the animation. I looked a little more closely at the British Gas TV adverts to better give me an idea on how to construct the body. I took a lot of new photos of Craig (against a white wall to make it easier to cut them out) and simply drew out some simplified body shapes using Photoshop's pen tool. I copied sections of his clothing and skin and pasted them into the shapes in order to give the clothes and arms a bit of texture.

I think the legs are quite plain looking, but unfortunately in the images the trousers and shoes came out very dark with no obvious texture, so I may have to pilfer some stock images in order to rectify that. I may try making them more of a dark grey as opposed to pitch black.

I'm quite pleased with how the puppets are looking so far. I still have some minor adjustments to make, such as lighting and shadows (especially on the shirt's collar), but otherwise I think I'm mostly there. I'm not entirely sure how to go about making the hands yet. I've been playing around with them but I can't seem to get anything that looks quite right.

I'm a little concerned about the image quality, especially on the face. My camera isn't particularly high resolution and I didn't think to turn the flash on so some of the pictures are a little grainy. I don't think it's too noticeable, especially when the puppets are scaled down to screen resolution, but I'm going to see if there's anything I can do to clean them up in Photoshop a little bit. Failing that I may have to re-shoot some of the images under better lighting conditions, or using a better camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment