Monday 19 December 2011

"Window Pain" completed sequence

After a brief period of no blog updates, here's a bit of a bombshell: I've finished the animation!


I really should have continued updating with posts during the process showing what I'd been doing but I got so wrapped up in the essay and Animation Principles that I didn't really have any brain cells to spare. Working has, these past two weeks, become like a primary bodily function; I sleep, eat, breathe and work with very little room left in my brain to process much beyond that. To be honest though, making it was just repeating bits of what I've already been doing with different pictures.

The one big thing to note is that I ended up cutting the third "window scene" (the fairground) from the animation. I'd been working on the graphics for the roller coaster for about a week and was really struggling to animate it convincingly. I was still concerned about staying within the timescale, so I decided instead to leave it until the rest of the animation was finished to see whether I had enough screen time left to accommodate the scene. As it turns out I had already hit the max 40 seconds without it, so it worked out quite nicely and saved me a lot of stress!

I'm disappointed at having to cut the scene as I quite liked the flow of it but I don't think the animation suffers too much for it. I'm not entirely pleased with certain parts — mostly the typing sequences. He kinda looks like he's karate chopping the keyboard but it has a certain quirkyness to it I suppose. I could have done more with it but to be honest I'm feeling completely burned out — there are certainly things with it I could fix but I think there comes a point at which you have to take a step back and say "I'm done with this." When I've recovered a little more (and Animation Principles is done) I may return to it and make some minor tweaks, but for now, I'm relatively satisfied. Feels good to have it complete at any rate ;]

Next I think I'm going to produce an amended storyboard and animatic to show the cut down sequence. But first, back to Flash...

1 comment:

  1. I have to say Alex, that looks amazing. Craig's movement is so smooth, and even the subtle movements when he's facing the camera is nice to watch. It's such a small scene and doesn't last very long but you still put that effort into it to make it look great.
    I especially love the "Are you okay?" on the poster behind him. It's one of those hidden meanings that someone needs to look for in the animation which makes it more interesting than having it blurt out obviously to the audience. It can also make the audience curious and want to watch it again to find out more about it.
    The backgrounds are nicely cut, very smooth with no jagged edges. Mine just looks silly now, how dare you do this to me?! ;P Very inspiring though, it's encouraged me to do better, and I hope you get top marks for this :D

    ReplyDelete